|Back to Profiles
Sandra A. Frantzen
Tel. (312) 775-8000
Intellectual Property Litigation and Counseling.
Iowa State University, 1996, B.S. Chemistry, B.S. Environmental Science, with highest distinction
University of Chicago, 1999, J.D., with honors
Admitted to practice in Illinois. Member of the bars of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Sandra Frantzen practices a broad range of intellectual property law focusing on patent, trademark and copyright litigation and client counseling. She has extensive litigation and consulting experience in various industries but has particular expertise in the medical device and pharmaceutical industries and has worked on behalf of diverse clients such as Abbott Laboratories, American Medical Systems, Broadcom, Paxar Americas, RTI Biologics, Stryker and others.
Intellectual Property Litigation and Dispute Resolution. Sandra's practice focuses on assisting clients by litigating and helping to resolve intellectual property disputes. She participates in all aspects of dispute resolution from pre-litigation consultation to trial and appellate work. Her work includes assessing and reviewing the legal issues surrounding clients’ technologies, formulating litigation and dispute resolution strategy, appearing and arguing in court, preparing for and participating in jury trials and arbitration proceedings, spearheading mediation and settlement sessions, and working with witnesses and experts. She has done work on behalf of both patent owners and accused infringers. Her work for clients has ranged from small cases to cases involving damages in the hundreds of millions. In one of Sandra’s cases, the client received a settlement of over $60 million. Representative cases include:
Intellectual Property Consulting and Business Development. Sandra also advises clients on strategic intellectual property development, acquisition, protection, and enforcement with a focus on value. Among other things, she has experience evaluating patents and patent portfolios, drafting and negotiating license agreements, consulting regarding licensing matters, performing due diligence review and analysis of intellectual property rights for corporate acquisitions, and assisting clients in obtaining patents and trademark registrations. She also advises clients on day-to-day intellectual property issues. Sandra is very knowledgeable about recent developments in patent law and has expertise in the America Invents Act as well as the Biologics Price Competition And Innovation Act and the advent of U.S. biosimilars.
- Wyeth and Cordis et al v. Abbott Labs. et al, Civil Action Nos. 08-230 and 08-1021 (D.N.J.)
- Cordis Corp. v. Abbott Labs. et al, Civil Action Nos. 07-2265, 07-2477, 07-2728, and 07-5636 (D.N.J.)
- Minkus Elec. Display Sys., Inc. v. ADTI Media et al, Civil Action No. 10-666 (D. Del.)
- American Medical Sys. et al v. Biolitec et al, Civil Action No. 08-30061 (D. Mass.)
- American Medical Sys. et al v. Laser Peripherals, LLC, Civil Action No. 08-4798 (D. Minn.)
- Osteotech, Inc. v. RTI Biologics, Civil Action No. 06-4249 (D.N.J.)
- Abbott Labs. et al v. Johnson & Johnson et al, Civil Action No. 06-613 (D. Del.)
- ZIH Corp. v. Paxar Corp., Civil Action No. 03-12358 (D. Mass.)
- Paxar Americas, Inc. v. Zebra Techs. Corp. et al, Civil Action No. 03-142 (S.D. Ohio)
- Broadcom Corp. v. Agere Sys., Inc., Civil Action No. 04-0066 (W.D. Wis.)
- Norian Corp. v. Stryker Corp., Civil Action No. 01-0016 (N.D. Cal.)
- Z Kat, Inc. et al v. Stryker Corp. et al, Civil Action No. 03-0463 (M.D. Tenn.)
- Haggerty Enterprises, Inc. v. Creative Motion Indus., Inc., Civil Action No. 02-8578 (N.D. Ill.)
- Amsted Indus. Inc. v. Buckeye Steel Castings Co., Civ. No. 01-3336 (N.D. Ill.)
- Amsted Indus. Inc. v. ABC-NACO, Inc., Civ. No. 00-7119 (N.D. Ill.)
- University of Washington v. Optiva Corp. (Arbitration Proceedings)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Systems, Inc. v. SciMed Life Sys., Civ. No. 96-00946 (N.D. Cal.)
Other Activities. Sandra was repeatedly named an “Illinois Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyer. Sandra is a member of the firm’s Recruiting and Diversity Committees. She is a member of several bar associations and serves on the Board of Directors for the Arab American Bar Association of Illinois. She has been involved in planning the Chicago Bar Association’s Breaking Barriers conference focusing on diversity issues and is a pro bono volunteer with the Heartland Alliance National Immigrant Justice Center. She also is a Cub Scout den leader, has served on the Committee for Cub Scout Pack 31, and has been elected to and served on the school board for St. Dominic’s school.
Presentations and Articles. Sandra has given presentations on a wide array of topics including intellectual property basics and best practices, enablement and written description law, advancements in willfulness law, the America Invents Act, and biosimilars and the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act. Sandra has written several articles including:
- Settlement Negotiations May Not Be Confidential, Executive Counsel Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 63-64 (Feb/Mar 2012)
- Embracing the Differences – How Diversity In Litigation Can Help You Win, Intellectual Property Today Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 20 – 22 (May 2007)
- The Shape of Things Past and Things to Come, Intellectual Property Today Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 6 – 9 (Jan. 2000)
- The Future of Courtroom Design, New York Law Journal Vol. 22, No. 53, p. 5 (Sept. 14, 1999)